The Journey of Self-Discovery Has Begun Aga
Black To Our Roots is a year-long youth leadership and rites of passage program that promotes African cultural values through media production, community service, fundraising, and international travel. This program was specifically designed to reduce the negative impacts of poor education and community apathy that exists in so many urban environments.
This year-long program provides youth with the tools to become active participants in the unity and development of in their local communities and the global African community. The program culminates in a 4-week travel study to Africa during the summer in which students apply their learning to community service projects, while exchanging ideas with African youth. Annually, for the past 8 years, HABESHA has facilitated the Black To Our Roots program, and has assisted over 60 youth in making this journey of self-discovery.
Black To Our Roots program targets high school youth of African descent and assists each to:
- Raise $4,000 for their travel to Africa through creative business exercises that teach entrepreneurship and organization.
- Create compelling video programs and artistic performances that explore important issues within the African Diasporan community.
- Travel to various places within the US of historical and cultural significance in the exploration of the African American experience.
- Connect with the earth through gardening and camping, which teaches basic survival skills and sustainable living practices.
- Establish bonds with other youth in the African Diaspora that are long-lasting and meaningful.
- Study the achievements and history of African communities around the world, fostering cultural awareness.