We are now recruiting for the 2018 HABESHA Works Program. HABESHA Works is a green jobs training initiative that teaches basic skills in urban organic agriculture and agro-business development. HABESHA Works promotes sustainable agriculture as a tool for economic development within communities lacking adequate job resources and those experiencing barriers to healthy, fresh, high quality foods. The components of HABESHA Works focus on three primary objectives. They are:
- Providing new skills and professional development training and education in sustainable agriculture to young adults.
- Developing a community-based approach to health disparities by training individuals to produce and distribute organically grown vegetables in the local urban environment.
- Establishing an economic development model that creates social entrepreneurship opportunities for participants to continue utilizing their training.
Based on these objectives, there are three cycles to this intervention effort. Below is a detailed description of activities to be completed at each cycle of the program:
- Includes 100-hours of interactive classroom work (lecture), and field work (lab) to occur over the time span of 14-weeks
- Instruction takes place twice a weekly with one 2-hour lecture and one 4-hour lab session
- Class sessions introduce trainees to the fundamental principles and practices of sustainable agriculture
- Lab sessions provide trainees with hands-on experiences that reinforce classroom discussions
- Lab sessions are held in the HABESHA Gardens Complex in addition to other identified urban farm sites
- Sessions will include site visits to area urban farms and/or guest instruction from various farm experts
We are now accepting applications for the 2018 HABESHA Works Program. In order to be considered for the program, you must participate in one of the mandatory interest meetings on to be held on March 21, 2018 & March 28, 2018 at the Omenala Griot Afrocentric Teaching Museum, located at 337 Dargan Place, Atlanta, GA 30310 from 6PM-8PM. Please CLICK HERE to fill out the application online and begin the processing of exploring the opportunities in urban agriculture!
Questions? Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org